Recipe by Bergy
This is about as low calorie and still tasty potatoes that you can find. You can do ahead and reheat in the oven just before serving.
Top Review by JustJanS
Bergy, these come close too the BEST mashed potatoes I've ever eaten. They so delicious, and so low fat, that I can't believe it. I loved them, and will be making them again often. Even our non-onion eater cleaned up his plate, as the onions had cooked away to that yummy caramelised stage. Thanks for an amazing recipe.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup skim milk
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- salt & pepper
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons low-fat plain yogurt
Directions See How It's Made
- Sauté the onion in the butter over medium heat until browned (about 12 minutes). Put potatoes, milk and garlic in a saucepan; cover pot.
- Over medium heat simmer until the potatoes are cooked through (about 12 minutes) stir occasionally.
- Remove potatoes with a slotted spoon and put them in the skillet with the onions.
- Mash potatoes with the onions.
- Add milk (that the potatoes were boiled in).
- Add the milk slowly until you have a lovely smooth texture (you may not need all the milk).
- Stir in the yogurt, season to taste.