Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 mins
This is the only way I'll do pot roast, and I've tried many over the years. Talk about the perfect comfort food! I usually make mashed potatoes, dumplings or egg noodles to go with this and smother all in the delicious gravy.
- 3 -5 lbs chuck roast
- 1 medium onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 -2 lb carrot, peeled (if thin, leave whole, if chunky, cut in half)
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) envelope dry onion soup mix, divided
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder (from soup envelope)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Put 2 tablespoons water in bottom of crock pot.
- Place carrots in crock pot.
- Combine paprika, onion soup powder, garlic powder and pepper (making a dry rub).
- Rub into roast, coating all sides.
- Place roast in cooker.
- Sprinkle 1/2 of the remaining soup mix over roast.
- Layer sliced onions on top.
- Sprinkle with remaining soup mix.
- Spoon cream soup over top.
- Cook low 8 to 10 hours.
Definitely comfort food for a fall night. We really enjoyed this served with plain rice. I checked the gravy before serving and it was too salty for me, so I added some extra water and thickened it with cornstarch. That worked quite well and the gravy was really tasty, I especially liked the use paprika. I'd definitely make this again, thanks for posting.
This was very good and my family gobbled it up, but I thought it was salty and lacked a little of that "homemade" flavor. Maybe add a splash of red wine to deepen the flavor? With all the other pot roast recipes, I'll probably try another before I repeat this one.
Made as written. Easy, good, and gone in one sitting. :) Thanks!