Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Buttermilk works the best for these muffins.
- 175 g self-raising flour
- 50 g quick-cooking oats (no substitute)
- 140 g light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 egg, beaten
- 150 ml buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 175 g stoned prunes, chopped
- 85 g pecan nuts
- Preheat the oven to 200C (fan forced 180C).
- Butter 6-8 muffin tins or line them with muffin cases.
- Put the flour, oats, sugar, cinnamon and bicarb in a large bowl, and then rub everything through your fingers, as if making pastry, to ensure the ingredients are evenly blended.
- Beat the egg, and then stir in the buttermilk, vanilla and oil.
- Lightly stir the egg mixture into the flour.
- Fold the prunes and the pecan nuts into the mixture.
- Divide between the tins, filling the cases to the brim, then bake for 20-25 minutes until risen and golden.
- Serve warm or cold.