Recipe by BamaKathy
I got this out of a Campbells Soup Cookbook many many years ago, and have adapted it a bit to make it even yummier. Easy to make, Inexpensive, and Comforting! One of my husband's favorites. I make this at least once a week for the last thirty years. Serve with some homemade mashed potatoes.
Top Review by Torachef 1997
Very simple, and made two meals for the two of us! I was a bit unclear on the crackers as I had only oyster crackers on hand... I recently found a reference that said 28 saltines makes a cup, just FYI for others needing to measure cracker crumbs! In any case, this was easy, yummy and comforting. Perfect for a snowstorm day like we just had!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground chuck
- 12 saltine crackers, crushed
- 1 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 egg
- 1⁄8 cup milk
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup
- 2 tablespoons butter (can use olive oil)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix meat with crackers, milk, parsley flakes, salt, pepper, garlic salt, and egg. This is easiest to mix by hand.
- Form into large patties. (I make three of this, but you could make four.).
- Heat butter or oil in large skillet over medium heat.
- Then add meat and brown on both sides; drain.
- Smear cream of mushroom soup all over the tops and sides of the meat patties until you use it all.
- Cover tightly and simmer on med-low heat for 30 minutes, flipping patties now and then and spooning soup back over, until no longer pink in the center.