Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I got this out of a Campbells Soup Cookbook many many years ago, and have adapted it a bit to make it even yummier. Easy to make, Inexpensive, and Comforting! One of my husband's favorites. I make this at least once a week for the last thirty years. Serve with some homemade mashed potatoes.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground chuck
- 12 saltine crackers, crushed
- 1 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 egg
- 1⁄8 cup milk
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup
- 2 tablespoons butter (can use olive oil)
- Mix meat with crackers, milk, parsley flakes, salt, pepper, garlic salt, and egg. This is easiest to mix by hand.
- Form into large patties. (I make three of this, but you could make four.).
- Heat butter or oil in large skillet over medium heat.
- Then add meat and brown on both sides; drain.
- Smear cream of mushroom soup all over the tops and sides of the meat patties until you use it all.
- Cover tightly and simmer on med-low heat for 30 minutes, flipping patties now and then and spooning soup back over, until no longer pink in the center.
Very simple, and made two meals for the two of us! I was a bit unclear on the crackers as I had only oyster crackers on hand... I recently found a reference that said 28 saltines makes a cup, just FYI for others needing to measure cracker crumbs! In any case, this was easy, yummy and comforting. Perfect for a snowstorm day like we just had!
I've made this twice now. Great recipe, I only use one can of soup and it comes out great. Thanks for posting!
My family REALLY liked this. It was like a really juicy hamburger with mushroom sauce. One pan clean up. Can't beat that. Thanks for posting.