Prep 30 mins
Cook 33 mins
In 'Saved by Soup' by Judith Barrett
Make and share this Comfort Chicken Soup With Rice and Spinach recipe from Food.com.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 lb boneless skinless white meat chicken, cut into 1-inch pieces
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup arborio rice
- 5 cups defatted chicken broth
- 1⁄2 lb spinach leaves, roughly chopped (about 5 cups)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Heat oil in a heavy 4-quart saucepan over med-high heat.
- Add in chicken, season with salt and pepper; cook, stirring, until the chicken pieces have turned white and are just beginning to brown, about 5 minutes; remove the chicken and set aside.
- Add in the onion to the saucepan and cook, stirring, over med-high heat until it begins to soften, 2-3 minutes.
- Return the chicken to the saucepan; add in the rice and broth, and bring to a boil.
- Decrease heat to med-low, partially cover the saucepan, and simmer until the rice is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach and continue cooking 5 minutes more.
- Add in the cumin and nutmeg; stir to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.
- As this soup stands and cools, it thickens; add some broth or water (1/2 cup at a time) before reheating.