1 hr 3 mins
In 'Saved by Soup' by Judith Barrett
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 lb boneless skinless white meat chicken, cut into 1-inch pieces
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup arborio rice
- 5 cups defatted chicken broth
- 1/2 lb spinach leaves, roughly chopped (about 5 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1Heat oil in a heavy 4-quart saucepan over med-high heat.
- 2Add in chicken, season with salt and pepper; cook, stirring, until the chicken pieces have turned white and are just beginning to brown, about 5 minutes; remove the chicken and set aside.
- 3Add in the onion to the saucepan and cook, stirring, over med-high heat until it begins to soften, 2-3 minutes.
- 4Return the chicken to the saucepan; add in the rice and broth, and bring to a boil.
- 5Decrease heat to med-low, partially cover the saucepan, and simmer until the rice is tender, about 20 minutes.
- 6Stir in the spinach and continue cooking 5 minutes more.
- 7Add in the cumin and nutmeg; stir to combine.
- 8Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.
- 9As this soup stands and cools, it thickens; add some broth or water (1/2 cup at a time) before reheating.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Comfort Chicken Soup With Rice and Spinach
Serving Size: 1 (315 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 164.3
- Calories from Fat 32
- Total Fat 3.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 21.5 mg
- Sodium 672.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 14.9 g