Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Loads of recipes for apple cake here. I like this one cause it tastes like apple pie but is (to me) easier to make. I usually make it as a dessert (served warm) and when it has cooled it is great with a cup of tea.
- 4 apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon orange zest, grated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups flour
- 3 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Grease and flour a 12-cup bundt pan.
- Mix apples, 5 tbs sugar and ground cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Combine 2 1/2 cups sugar, eggs, vegetable oil, orange juice, orange peel and vanilla extract in another large bowl.
- Whisk to blend.
- Sieve flour and baking powder.
- Add to egg mixture.
- Spoon 1 1/2 cups batter into prepared bundt pan.
- Top with half of apple mixture.
- Cover with 1 1/2 cups batter.
- Top with remaining apples.
- Cover with remaining batter
- Bake for about 1 hour 30 minutes.
- Cool cake in pan on wire rack for 15 minutes.