1905 is the year that the Columbia Restaurant was founded in the Ybor City section of Tampa, Florida. At this legendary restaurant, this wonderful salad is tossed at your table. Don't forget to have some warm Cuban bread and sweet cream butter to serve along with this delicious salad.
- 1⁄2 head iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 2 ripe tomatoes, cut into eighths
- 1⁄2 cup sliced swiss cheese, cut into julienne strips
- 1⁄2 cup sliced baked ham, cut into julienne strips (or turkey or shrimp)
- 1⁄4 cup green Spanish olives, pitted
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated romano cheese
Salad Dressing Ingredients
- 1⁄8 cup white wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup extra-virgin Spanish olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Toss together all salad ingredients in a large bowl, except Romano cheese.
- Mix garlic, oregano, and Worcestershire sauce in a bowl. Beat until smooth with a wire whisk. Add olive oil, gradually beating to form an emulsion. Stir in vinegar and lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
- Add dressing to salad and toss well. Add Romano cheese and toss one more time.
I found that if you add the whole garlic to the dressing mixture and use the emersion blender it turns out perfect and the garlic is blended into the dressing. Also, I use Romaine lettuce hearts since it is much healthier. Great salad!
Perfect salad! I had the original salad less than a month ago and was thrilled to see it on here! This is almost a perfect match other than doubling the quantity of lemon juice, besides that - it was exceptional!