Recipe by SJG3483
This is a hearty stew for a cold day. It has an exotics South American flavor.
Top Review by WarmFeather
yummy! I didnt have cinammon sticks so I used ground, only thing I did differently was to coat the meat with flour and brown it, then I sauted the sweet potato and onion together first also. Warm Pumpkin bread complimented this stew perfectly.
- 1 lb cut-up stew meat or 1 lb beef boneless beef chuck roast
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons olive oil or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 3 cups peeled sweet potatoes, cut in 1 inch pieces (can substitute squash)
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
- 1 dry bay leaf
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 large onion, cut into eighths
- 1 (28 ounce) can Italian-style tomatoes, with juices
- 8 dried apricots, cut in half
- chopped fresh parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove excess fat from beef.
- Cut beef into 1-inch pieces and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat oil in 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat.
- Cook beef in oil about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until brown.
- Mix beef and remaining ingredients except apricots and parsley in 4- 5 quart crockpot.
- Cover and cook on low 8 hours or until beef is tender.
- Stir in apricots.
- Cover and cook on low about 15 minutes or until apricots are softened.
- Discard bay leaf and cinnamon stick.
- Sprinkle stew with parsley.