Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
One of the nicest Cuban restaurants in Florida shared their popular salad with Food Nework.com and I wanted to share it with Zaar. It is our favorite salad when we go to the Columbia.
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄8 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 head shredded iceberg lettuce
- 2 ripe tomatoes, cut in eights
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup julienne strips swiss cheese
- 1⁄2 cup julienne strips ham or 1⁄2 cup turkey or 1⁄2 cup shrimp
- 1⁄4 cup green Spanish olives, pitted
- 2 teaspoons grated romano cheese
- In a bowl or jar mix first seven ingredients and mix well.
- Use a whisk, or shake in the jar with a tight lid.
- Set dressing aside.
- Mix the next six ingredients in a large salad bowl.
- Pour dressing over the salad mix and toss gently.
- Sprinkle with the Romano cheese and toss until well blended.
- You may use pepperoni sausage, what ever hard sliced cheese you like as the meat and cheese in the salad.
- Serve as soon as you have mixed the dressing and cheese into the salad.
- This is great with crusty Cuban bread and butter.
I can see why this salad is popular - it's a wonderful combination making for a lovely salad ... and I didn't have to go to Florida to enjoy. (Much as I would like too!) Made using turkey strips - I'm going to give shrimp a go next time around. Yes this is definetely a repeatable! Thank you Carole.
This is definately a 5 star recipe!!!! But the Food Nework didn't share one of the most important steps-Instead of adding all ingredients together, an emulsification is used to produce the correct texture that sticks to the salad. Mix garlic, oregano, and Worcestershire sauce in a bowl. Beat until smooth with a wire whisk. Add olive oil, gradually beating to form an emulsion. Stir in vinegar and lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Add dressing to salad and toss well. Also, Boar's Head Sweet Slice Ham and Baby Swiss are excellent choices for authentic flavor. I make this any time I want to give my guests something delicious. Even the skinny girls go back for THIRDS!
Excellent; tastes just like the restaurant's salad.