Recipe by Annacia
They do say that the more color a meal has the healthier it is. This salad tastes every bit as good as it looks. Be sure to pick peppers of a deep rich red. This is a wonderful summer meal.
Top Review by Andi of Longmeadow Farm
Amazing as always, and as quick as a wink to put together. I just grilled my chicken quickly with paprika, salt and pepper, and then sliced it and put it on the lettuces, the dressing is wonderful, and so perfect for this salad as whole. I didn't have red peppers, so added some red onion and thinly sliced orange pepper instead. I threw a couple of mushrooms in, just for the heck of it, but is is not necessary as this is a beautiful "color of life". Made for the Diabetic *National Nutrition Month* Forum March 2010
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallot
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- nonstick cooking spray
- 8 cups green leaf lettuce, washed and torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1⁄2 cup sliced large black olives
- 1 large red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and diced
Directions See How It's Made
- For the balsamic vinaigrette:.
- Place the shallots and vinegar in a small mixing bowl and whisk to combine. Continue whisking and slowly add the olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- (This can be made in advance and stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.)
- For the grilled chicken:.
- Spray the grill grate with nonstick cooking spray and then preheat the grill to medium-high.
- Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper.
- Grill the chicken on both sides until it is cooked through, about 4 to 6 minutes per side depending on the thickness. Transfer the chicken breasts to a cutting board and let cool.
- (The chicken can be grilled in advance and stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.)
- For the green salad:.
- Slice the chicken breasts into strips and place them in a mixing bowl. Add the black olives, red bell pepper and half of the balsamic vinaigrette.
- Place the lettuce in a separate salad bowl and toss it with the remaining vinaigrette. Arrange the chicken, black olive and red bell pepper mixture on top and serve.