Recipe by Ducky
A great salad or side dish and can be made ahead of time. Just take out of the refrigerator and serve. I got this recipe from my mother, who got it from a family friend, who got it from ??? Cook time includes refrigerator time (estimated).
Top Review by Charlotte J
The red wine vinegar and wild rice was a great taste combination. I did not know if you meant 1-cup dry or cooked wild rice. So I cooked a 4-ounce box of rice, which after being cooked was 1 1/2 cups. I put everything together the night before but waited until it was time to serve to add the nuts. The raisins plumped up nicely since I made it the night before. Next time I want to make this using the dried cherries. Thank you Ducky, I will be taking this too many family gathering to come!!
- 1 cup wild rice (uncooked)
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup raisins, dried sweetened cranberries,cherries,blueberries or 1 cup fruit
- 1 cup pecans or 1 cup walnuts
- 1⁄2 tablespoon honey
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook rice according to directions except do not add butter, oil or seasonings.
- Drain well and refrigerate until completely cooled.
- Add carrots and onions, mixing well.
- Mix oil and vinegar and then add salt.
- Pour dressing over rice, mixing thoroughly.
- Add fruit and nuts.
- Add honey and mix well.
- Note: If dried fruit is plumped in warm water, drain before adding to rice.