Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
A great salad or side dish and can be made ahead of time. Just take out of the refrigerator and serve. I got this recipe from my mother, who got it from a family friend, who got it from ??? Cook time includes refrigerator time (estimated).
- 1 cup wild rice (uncooked)
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup raisins, dried sweetened cranberries,cherries,blueberries or 1 cup fruit
- 1 cup pecans or 1 cup walnuts
- 1⁄2 tablespoon honey
- Cook rice according to directions except do not add butter, oil or seasonings.
- Drain well and refrigerate until completely cooled.
- Add carrots and onions, mixing well.
- Mix oil and vinegar and then add salt.
- Pour dressing over rice, mixing thoroughly.
- Add fruit and nuts.
- Add honey and mix well.
- Note: If dried fruit is plumped in warm water, drain before adding to rice.
The red wine vinegar and wild rice was a great taste combination. I did not know if you meant 1-cup dry or cooked wild rice. So I cooked a 4-ounce box of rice, which after being cooked was 1 1/2 cups. I put everything together the night before but waited until it was time to serve to add the nuts. The raisins plumped up nicely since I made it the night before. Next time I want to make this using the dried cherries. Thank you Ducky, I will be taking this too many family gathering to come!!
My oh my oh my!! Ducky, thank you so much for suggesting this recipe for the funeral I was in charge of food for. I made a double recipe of this and it was the MOST popular dish by farrrr... it went so fast people were complaining to me that they didn't get any and had heard such great things about it! This was delicious to say the least. I will be making this over and over and over... I have already promised several people I would bring this to their homes the next time I come over. I cannot thank you enough for this awesome recipe, and for being kind enough to suggest it in response to my funeral recipe plea. This would not have been more perfect! Dianne
Fresh & colorful, I added celery & yellow pepper. I made it the night before for a potluck. Many, many compliments on this salad. Thank you for sharing-Delicious!!!