Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is my own, very different, version of the "Easy Corn Bread" recipe off a canister of Quaker corn meal. I have included honey instead of sugar, but added two eggs to help it rise (and add more protein!). The jalepeno peppers add zing. I used just one pepper, but wish I added more. The lentils add texture, as well as protein and fiber for a more wholesome snack, breakfast, or compliment to a meal.
- 1 1⁄4 cups whole grain flour (brown rice, oat, wheat, etc...)
- 3⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 cup milk (any kind)
- 1⁄4 cup oil (I use what's available ( almond, canola, etc...)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄2 cup red lentil, soaked overnight and rinsed (you can also allow them to begin sprouting)
- 1 fresh jalenpeno pepper, minced (you can add as many peppers as you'd like)
- Heat oven to 400°F
- Grease 9-inch pan.
- Combine dry ingredients.
- Stir in other ingredients until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool before slicing.