Recipe by jonesies
These stuffed peppers are easy to prepare, are meatless and freeze well, so you can make them ahead of time. Taken from the "Quick and Healthy Low Fat Cooking" cookboook.
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock (defatted) or 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup corn
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried savory
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1⁄3 cups quick-cooking brown rice
- 4 large green peppers (or red, or yellow)
- 1 cup fat free mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas (partially thawed)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 2-quart saucepan, combine the stock, onions, corn, carrots, savory and garlic.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Stir in the rice.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover the pan and simmer for 10 minutes, or until the rice has absorbed all the liquid.
- Remove from the heat and fluff with a fork.
- Meanwhile, cut each pepper in half lengthwise.
- Carefully remove the stem end and scoop out the seeds.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Add the peppers and blanch for 5 minutes.
- Drain and set aside to cool.
- Lightly stir the mozzarella cheese and peas into the rice.
- Divide the mixture among the pepper halves, mounding the tops slightly.
- Coat a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with no-stick spray.
- Add the peppers in a single layer, cover with foil and bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.