Recipe by Annacia
Make beautiful and easy gifts with this brownies in a jar recipe. You chose the colors you want for each season or person. *1 clear glass quart jar with a tight fitting lid should be included in the ingredients but the Zaar puter won't accept it.*
Top Review by HokiesMom
What fun these brownies are to make! We chose to use blue and red for the coloring to get a pretty bright blue and light pink sugar. The jar of mix looked so cute when finished!! Then we gave ourselves the "gift jar" and made them. The only thing I'd suggest is not using "blue" - haha - it kind of turned the brownies a gray color. But that did not deter us in the least and we enjoyed them still warm with a glass of milk and hot tea. Moist and decadent chocolate taste. Will use the recipe for basic brownies often and plan on making some gift jars for teachers for Valentine's Day gifts. Thanks Annacia for posting this great recipe! Made for Photo Tag game.
For the Sand Art
- 2 cups sugar
- food coloring
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (or a combination of both) or 1 cup white chocolate chips (or a combination of both)
To make the Brownies
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled, plus more for greasing pan
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- To color the sugar:
- Divide the sugar into 4 (1/2-cup) portions. Put 1/2 cup sugar into the jar and add 1 to 3 drops of food coloring.
- Put the lid on and shake the jar well until the sugar is completely colored.
- Empty the sugar into a small bowl and continue with the remaining sugar using different food colorings to make different colors.
- To make the Sand Art:
- Whisk together the flour and salt and set aside.
- Layer the dry ingredients into the jar, alternating colors (the sugar) and dark (cocoa powder) and light (flour), making your own design.
- Don't forget the chips! Screw on the lid and print out this recipe to enclose with your gift jar.
- To bake:
- Heat the oven to 325 degrees F. Grease a 13 by 9-inch pan with butter.
- Dump the contents of the jar into a large bowl. Mix together the melted butter, eggs, and vanilla. Stir the wet and dry ingredients together until well combined. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 30 to 35 minutes.