Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is an easy side or vegetarian main. Lots of vegetables and gooey cheese baked into a yummy casserole. I use a frozen mixed vegetable with corn, diced carrots, peas, & green beans. This is good served with roasted chicken or baked fish. Add a green salad & dinner is ready!
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 8 ounces frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 (19 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- 2 jalapenos, seeded & diced small
- 2 ounces of drained pimientos (optional)
- 8 ounces muenster cheese, grated (reserve 2 oz)
- 1 tomatoes, very thinly sliced
- cooking spray
- Heat oven to 350. Spray rectangular glass casserole pan with cooking spray.
- Place margarine & frozen mixed vegetables into glass mixing bowl. Microwave 2 minutes until vegetables are thawed & butter is melted.
- Add everything except the cheese & tomatoes. Stir until blended.
- Stir in 6 oz of the cheese. Pour mixture into prepared pan.
- Top with thin slices of tomatoes in a pretty pattern. Sprinkle with reserved cheese.
- Bake in the center of the oven 25-30 minutes or until casserole is set and cheese is melted.
- Let set 5 minutes before cutting.
What a great veggie dish. And it's so easy and goes together in a matter of minutes. The cheese added a lot of flavor and a nice creamy touch. For the frozen vegetables, I used a mix of carrots, corn and peas, but added about 1/3 cup more peas (for added color). This was a great dish. Thanks for sharing your recipe, Susie D. Made for 2014 Culinary Quest (U.S. Southern Cooking).
Made this not only to serve with a chicken main dish, but also as A GREAT VEGETABLE DISH for my veggie son & DIL! Very much a comfort food, for sure! I did make one change, however, in that I substituted some green chilies for the jalapenos (Personal taste sometimes gets in the way of things!) & it was still very, very tasty! Thanks for sharing a nice keeper of a recipe! [Tagged, made not only for the Zaar Chef Alphabet Soup game, but also as a special thank you for a great director/host in the current round of PAC]
I made this as written except for the pimiento..... It was really yummy and cheesy. It's a good way to get your veggies. We really enjoyed this !!!Thanks Susie Made for PAC spring '09