1/2 Photos of Colored Striped Icebox Cookies
I get creative with this recipe and make the colors of the stripes according to the season/holiday. The recipe colors as written are "Christmasy". Prep time does NOT include time for dough to chill.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 236.59 ml unsalted butter, softened (NO SUBSTITUTIONS)
- 354.88 ml sugar
- 1 large egg
- 591.47 ml flour
- 7.39 ml baking powder
- 1.23 ml salt
- 29.58 ml finely crushed peppermint candies
- 0.06-0.13 ml red food coloring
- 28.34 g semisweet chocolate, melted (1 square)
- 14.79 ml multicolored sugar nonpareils (multicolored)
- 0.06-0.13 ml green food coloring
- 1Line a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan with wax paper or parchment paper (try to get most wrinkles out); set aside.
- 2Cream together butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl; beat in egg.
- 3In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt; gradually beat this into creamed mixture.
- 4Divide the dough into thirds; each in it's own small bowl.
- 5Add crushed mints and red food color to 1 third; mix well (may need to use hands to blend color well).
- 6Add melted chocolate to another third; mix well (may need to use hands).
- 7Add nonpareils and green food color to last third; mix well (may need to use hands).
- 8Spread red dough on bottom of lined loaf pan. Spread chocolate dough on top of that. Lastly, spread the green dough on top. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours (or place in freezer for 1 hour).
- 9When chilled and firm, remove dough from pan.
- 10Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 11Lay the loaf of dough flat on a cutting board (just the way it was in the loaf pan) and use a large knife to cut dough down the middle lengthwise. Now cut each strip into 1/4" - 1/2" slices across (so each is "striped).
- 12Place slices 1" apart on lightly greased baking sheets. Bake at 375°F for 10-12 minutes or until edges just begin to brown.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Colored Striped Icebox Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (16 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 48
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 86.3
- Calories from Fat 38
- Total Fat 4.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 14.0 mg
- Sodium 25.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 6.2 g
- Protein 0.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
multicolored sugar nonpareils