1/2 Photos of Colorado Style Green Chili, Slow Cooker
4 hrs 45 mins
this is a recipe i came up by using several different recipes and some creativity. i am originally from colorado, but we live in east asia, so we can't get some ingredients or green tomatillos. but, we have been working on this recipe and love it! we love just eating this by the bowl with warm homemade tortillas, or smothered over eggs and tortillas in the morning, or it is also great smootherd over burritos or cheese roll-ups.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 cups chicken broth, bouillon works fine
- 2 -3 slices bacon, diced
- 1 head garlic, minced
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 big tomato, chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) can jalapenos, add (to taste) or 3 fresh jalapenos, minced add (to taste)
- 1 lb pork shoulder, cut into big chunks
- 1 (8 ounce) can green chilies
- 3 tablespoons cilantro, minced
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, to taste
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1pour broth into slow cooker and turn on high.
- 2fry bacon, until just done, add bacon to broth, but keep grease in pan to fry chopped veggies.
- 3fry veggies in order of listed above leaving several second in between. don’t fry the canned chilies, but if you are using fresh jalapenos, fry those with the other veggies. don’t fry the cilantro. add fried veggies to broth.
- 4brown chunks of pork on all sides in left over grease from veggies, add to broth.
- 5add fresh cilantro, cumin powder, salt, and garlic powder to broth. stir well.
- 6cover slow-cooker.
- 7chili can cook on high for 4-6 hrs, or on low for 6-8 hours stir occasionally.
- 8at some point, you can blend (in blender or shake in closed tupperware) the flour / water mixture, and then add to the broth. usually you should do this within an hour or so of throwing in all the ingredients into the broth. for thicker chili add more of this mixture.
- 9towards the end of cooking time salt to taste.
- 10when almost finished, pull chunks of pork out of chili and pull apart a bit to your desired size. add back to chili and let it cook a bit longer.
- 11serve in a bowl as soup with warm tortillas on the side. or smoother over burritos. we love to smoother over cheese roll-ups.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Colorado Style Green Chili, Slow Cooker
Serving Size: 1 (373 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 239.3
- Calories from Fat 113
- Total Fat 12.5 g
- Saturated Fat 4.1 g
- Cholesterol 41.6 mg
- Sodium 1057.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 16.1 g