Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
From Martha Green's Cooking Things on our local public radio.
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 8 slices sourdough French bread
- 12 ounces turkey breast, thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, peeled, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 4 slices red onions, separated into rings
- 4 ounces monterey jack cheese, 4 1oz slices
- In small bowl, combine butter, garlic and crushed red pepper. Stir to blend and set aside.
- In separate bowl, whisk egg and milk and set aside.
- Spread Parmesan cheese evenly on large plate and set aside.
- In large skillet, melt half of the butter mixture over low heat.
- Working quickly, dip 1 of the bread slices in egg mixture, coating only 1 side. Dip coated side into Parmesan cheese. Place in skillet, cheese side down. Repeat with 3 remaining bread slices.
- Arrange turkey, avocado and tomato on top of bread slices. Sprinkle with cilantro and top with onion rings and Monterey Jack cheese.
- Dip remaining 4 bread slices in egg mixture, coating 1 side and dip coated side into Parmesan and place on top of sandwich, cheese side out.
- Increase heat to medium and cook until bottom is golden brown.
- Add remaining butter, turn sandwiches to cook and brown the other side.
OMG!!!!!! This was so good I'm dreaming about the next time I'm going to have it. My husband said this sandwich is a must when we have company for lunch and it's so easy. Nothing needs to be changed with this one. My only advice is it goes great with hint of lime chips and a beer.
What an awesome sandwich. I took the advice of Sharlene and got rid of some of the fat, but other than that made as directed. I used Kitz homemade French Bread that I had frozen. As with any sandwich that I make with sliced avocado, it keep trying to escape, but it really added a great freshness to this. Thanks for sharing Engrossed.
I too followed Sharon's suggestions for lowering the fat. This was GOOD!!!