Recipe by keen5
I love fresh fish fried and this recipe is really yummy! I found this recipe in the Colorado Cache Cookbook back in the 80's. The book said, "This is the best way to eat trout: when it is stream fresh, it's hard to beat!" I agree! This recipe is great for cod too. Prep and cook times are approximate, depending on how long you want to fry your fish.
- 1 lb bacon
- 2 white onions, thinly sliced
- 1 -2 freshly caught pan-sized trout, cleaned of course
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Fry, drain and nibble on bacon while doing next step!
- Saute onions in bacon grease, drain, salt and nibble while preparing the fish.
- Coat fish well with mixture of corn meal, flour, salt and pepper.
- Fry fish in hot grease until done and very crisp.
- Garnish with onion and bacon.