Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
Gazpacho Shields Tavern Colonial Williamsburg Williamsburg, Virginia
- 4 cucumbers, peeled, seeded and cut into l-inch slices
- 1⁄2 large onion, peeled and diced
- 1⁄2 stalk celery, sliced
- 1⁄2 green pepper, seeds removed and cut into strips
- 1 large ripe tomatoes, peeled and seeded
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 1 1⁄4 cups broken pieces white bread
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups tomatoes or 2 cups v 8 vegetable juice
- fresh ground black pepper
- Pass the cucumbers, onion, celery, green pepper, tomato, garlic and bread through the small die of a meat grinder, or chop finely (but do not puree) in a food processor fitted with the steel blade, using on and off pulsing action.
- Combine with the remaining ingredients, season to taste and stir well. Serve very chilled.
- Note: The soup can be made up to a day in advance and refrigerated, tightly covered.