Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
A perfect Christmas hot beverage.
Make and share this Colonial Wassail recipe from Food.com.
- 750 ml dry red wine
- 2 cups cranberry juice cocktail
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 1⁄4 cup brandy
- lemon slice
- In a large saucepan, mix together red wine, cranberry juice, sugar, water, lemon juice, and cinnamon sticks.
- Heat just until mixture bubbles around the edges; reduce heat.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Remove cinnamon sticks.
- Stir in brandy.
- Ladle mixture into cups or mugs; garnish with a lemon slice.
I tried this out on my family for the holidays. They all gave it a "thumbs way up" signal. I thought is was very delicious. The red wine, cranberry and subtle taste of brandy and cinnamon blended perfectly together. I made two batches. The first I made on the stove-top. The second, I kept warm in the crockpot. A lovely holiday drink.
This was an easy to follow recipe and eveyone really liked this. I'd make it again. I made it on the stove top and kept it warm in a crock pot. Worked very well and was well received.
This was one of the hot beverages that I made to keep us full of spirit during the holidays. A wonderful drink. The most predominant flavors were the red wine and cranberry juice which made a delicious combination. I did like Esther and kept this warm in the crockpot. Made it easier for my family to serve themselves.