Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
From "Simply Delicious"- A cookbook made from Herberger's Employee Family Recipes. This recipe was submitted by Janet Snaza from St. Paul, Minnesota.
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2⁄3 cup buttermilk or 2⁄3 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon peel, grated
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- Combine bar ingredients and put in a greased 9"x13" glass pan.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched.
- Mix frosting ingredients together- Frost bars while still warm.
These were pretty good, I found the lemon icing really overpowered the spice cake though. Next time I will make it without the lemon, or no icing at all.
These are delicious, fantastic, wonderful and addictive! Can you tell I loved them?? The spice cake layer was perfect and the lemon icing complimented it beautifully. They were popular with adults, teen and childs alike. A lovely fall treat that will become a regular around here! Thanks Bec!