1/1 Photo of Colonial Oyster Stuffing
1 hr 25 mins
Adapted from the City Tavern Cookbook. If you like oysters, give this a try! You can make this ahead if you wish, through the cooking covered for 30 minutes. Cool and refrigerate, then cook the next day uncovered until the top is golden and the stuffing is heated through.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb firm white bread, crust removed insides cubed
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs, leaves pulled from stems
- 4 fresh sage leaves, sliced finely
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups oysters, shucked (small oysters are preferred)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1Preheat the oven to 325°F Spread the bread cubes in a baking pan, in a single layer.
- 2Bake for 20 - 30 minutes, until the bread is dry and slightly colored. Remove from the oven and transfer to a large mixing bowl (this can be done ahead, just cool the bread and place in an airtight container until ready to use).
- 3In a large skillet, saute the onions and celery in the oil over medium low heat until the onions are soft, 10 - 15 minutes.
- 4Add the garlic, salt, pepper, thyme, sage and oregano, and sautee for 5 more minutes.
- 5Add the wine, and cook until it is mostly evaporated, about 5 minutes. Transfer the vegetable mixture to the bowl with the bread cubes and mix well to combine.
- 6Add the oysters, cream, and parsley to the bread mixture, and mix to combine.
- 7Add enough of the chicken stock to the bread to moisten it, but not so much that it gets soggy (this depends on how dry your bread and vegetables were, so an exact amount is impossible to give).
- 8Transfer the mixture to a lightly greased baking dish and cover with foil.
- 9Bake for 30 minutes , then uncover and bake for about 10 more, until the top is crisp and golden brown.
- 10Serve while still hot.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Colonial Oyster Stuffing
Serving Size: 1 (250 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 405.2
- Calories from Fat 166
- Total Fat 18.4 g
- Saturated Fat 8.2 g
- Cholesterol 70.0 mg
- Sodium 1356.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 5.0 g
- Protein 12.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh thyme sprigs
fresh sage leaves