Prep 50 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Great, slow-cooked meal that warms the soul on a cold winter's eve.
- 2 lbs chuck steaks, cubed (or use lean stewing beef)
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 2 teaspoons instant beef bouillon
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 potatoes, pared and sliced
- 8 medium onions, peeled and quartered
- 1 acorn squash, split and seed (peeled if desired)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Trim all excess fat from beef.
- Shake cubes, divide up and do 1/2 at a time or less, with flour in a plastic bag to coat well.
- Combine tomato juice and instant beef broth in a small saucepan; heat just to boiling; remove from heat.
- Combine parsley, garlic, salt and pepper in a cup.
- Layer vegetables and meat into a slow cooker this way; Half of each of potatoes, onions and beef, sprinkling each layer lightly with seasoning mixture.
- Repeat with remaining potatoes, onions, beef and seasonings.
- Cut each squash half into 6 slices; pare; arrange on top.
- Pour hot tomato juice mixture over; dot with butter, cover.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours, or until meat and vegetables are tender.
s'kat, Loved this recipe! I was in a hurry so initially used a pressure cooker in place of a crockpot to cook the meat then added the veggies and simmered. I usually don't serve squash with beef but this was excellent. The tomato sauce was just right!! Thanks for posting. Barb
S'kat, this was so heartwarming and delicious. Your description was right on target. Well seasoned, hearty, easy, and loved the acorn squash. Thanks for posting.