Recipe by s'kat
Great, slow-cooked meal that warms the soul on a cold winter's eve.
Top Review by Aroostook
s'kat, Loved this recipe! I was in a hurry so initially used a pressure cooker in place of a crockpot to cook the meat then added the veggies and simmered. I usually don't serve squash with beef but this was excellent. The tomato sauce was just right!! Thanks for posting. Barb
- 2 lbs chuck steaks, cubed (or use lean stewing beef)
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 2 teaspoons instant beef bouillon
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 potatoes, pared and sliced
- 8 medium onions, peeled and quartered
- 1 acorn squash, split and seed (peeled if desired)
- 2 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim all excess fat from beef.
- Shake cubes, divide up and do 1/2 at a time or less, with flour in a plastic bag to coat well.
- Combine tomato juice and instant beef broth in a small saucepan; heat just to boiling; remove from heat.
- Combine parsley, garlic, salt and pepper in a cup.
- Layer vegetables and meat into a slow cooker this way; Half of each of potatoes, onions and beef, sprinkling each layer lightly with seasoning mixture.
- Repeat with remaining potatoes, onions, beef and seasonings.
- Cut each squash half into 6 slices; pare; arrange on top.
- Pour hot tomato juice mixture over; dot with butter, cover.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours, or until meat and vegetables are tender.