Recipe by coconutty
This is a great recipe that was clipped from a magazine many years ago.
Top Review by BecR
Outstanding gingerbread! Very moist, fragrant and delicious!! I doubled the ginger (just my preference), and served with a cup of tea. Made for PAC Spring 2008 --lovely recipe, thanks coconutty!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup molasses
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the over to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Butter and flour a 9x9x2 inch pan.
- Measure all ingredients into a large bowl. With mixer at low speed, beat until blended, constantly scraping the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- Increase the speed to medium and continue beating for 3 minutes, occasionally scraping bowl.
- Pour into pan. Bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack.
- Note: 1 T. vinegar plus milk may be substituted for the buttermilk.