Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is my personal recipe for homemade huckleberry cake, a real Southern treat.
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh huckleberries
- 1 beaten egg
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups cake flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Gradually beat 2/3 cup sugar into the beaten egg until light.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture alternately with 1/3 cup of milk.
- Add 3 tablespoons butter and 1 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract.
- Beat well, then fold in 1 1/2 cups fresh huckleberries.
- Pour into an 8" cake pan and bake at 400 degrees for about 40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.