This is my personal recipe for lemon sponge pie, with fresh lemon juice and lemon rind.
Make and share this Colonel Sanders' Lemon Sponge Pie recipe from Food.com.
- Temper butter.
- Cream butter and sugar thoroughly.
- Add remaining ingredients except egg whites.
- Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites.
- Pour into unbaked pie crust and bake slowly in oven at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Reduce oven to 300 degrees F, until tests done - about 45 minutes.
I made this lemon sponge pie last week. Everyone said they liked the good lemon taste. I have made many pies but this was my first lemon sponge. I will make it again!!
I made this recipe, posted on another site, with a minor variation; it called for 2 TBL grated lemon zest, not specified by how many lemons. Otherwise it was identical and it was EXCELLENT!! My husband loved it! Definitely will be making this again and again!