Recipe by Colonel Sanders
This is my personal recipe for lemon sponge pie, with fresh lemon juice and lemon rind.
- 1 prepared pie crust, unbaked
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 lemons, rind of, grated
- 4 egg whites, stiffly beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- Temper butter.
- Cream butter and sugar thoroughly.
- Add remaining ingredients except egg whites.
- Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites.
- Pour into unbaked pie crust and bake slowly in oven at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Reduce oven to 300 degrees F, until tests done - about 45 minutes.