Recipe by TheGrumpyChef
Simple recipe to make your own chorizo. Some advance preparation is required. I've used several recipes that required chorizo, and this recipe allows me to save a few bucks, because I can use the beef and pork we have processed every year. You may use half ground beef, half ground pork. From The Hatch Chile Cookbook.
- 1⁄2 cup red enchilada sauce
- 3 teaspoons oregano
- 1⁄2 cup dried red chili, ground
- 2 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the enchilada sauce with the oregano and ground chile.
- Put meat in a large glass bowl or non- reactive pan.
- Cover the meat with the sauce and marinate overnight in the refrigerator.
- Remove from refrigerator, pour off any excess liquid.
- To cook, crumble the desired amount with a fork and fry in a skillet, OR.
- The chorizo may be frozen in serving size packages, or may be stuffed into sausage casings.