1 hr 20 mins
Chef Kate's Note:
A very rich pound cake that is traditional in Colombia and is used to make the even richer Torta de Coco (Coconut Cake), the recipe for which is posted separately. You will note that this cake contains no baking powder or soda--just a bit of brandy and lots of eggs.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Pre-heat the oven to 325 degrees.
- 2Cream the butter until fluffy; gradually add the sugar, continuing to beat until the mixture is very light and fluffy.
- 3Add the egg yolks, one at a time, continuing to beat on medium-high speed.
- 4Stir in brandy and vanilla and mix well.
- 5Sift the flour and salt together into the butter/egg mixture and blend very well.
- 6Beat the egg whites until stiff and dry.
- 7Fold the whites into the batter with a rubber spatula until no white bits are visible--but be gentle.
- 8Butter one ten inch cake pan (or small loaf tins if you want to freeze some).
- 9Place parchment paper on the bottom of the buttered pan and press it down, then turn the paper so it is buttered on both sides.
- 10Pour the batter in the pan and give it a bit of a whack against the counter to make sure it is settled in the pan.
- 11Bake for about an hour, or until the cake begins to pull away from the sides and a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- 12Cool on a rack.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Colombian Pound Cake
Serving Size: 1 (1855 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 7403.5
- Calories from Fat 3764
- Total Fat 418.2 g
- Saturated Fat 247.9 g
- Cholesterol 2879.6 mg
- Sodium 1855.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 785.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.4 g
- Sugars 305.9 g
- Protein 111.0 g