Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
A tasty, tangy, colorful and LOW FAT! potato salad I concocted after having a similar one at a restaurant operated by brothers from Columbia. It's a great change from the same boring mayo-based potato salad. TRY IT!
- 2 lbs red potatoes, cooked, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes when cool, about 6 cups total
- 3 large carrots, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch pieces and steamed until crisp-tender, cooled
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red onion
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup chopped cilantro, depending on taste
- 3 large tomatoes, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1⁄3 cup wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt (may add more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Combine potato cubes, carrot pieces, chopped onions and cilantro in large bowl.
- In a small bowl whisk together dressing ingredients and pour over salad ingredients.
- Gently combine tomato chunks with the rest of the salad.
- Chill and allow flavors to blend.
This was good. I added the lesser amount of cilantro, and wished I'd had more. The salad would have benefited from the added flavor. But nice!
This was great especially since we are cilantro lovers. I steamed baby carrots in the microwave, used green onion and Red wine vinegar. Even better the next day and the next. I'll make this again.
A really colourful and flavoursome side dish. I overcooked the potatoes the first time I began to follow this recipe, as I had not used red potatoes before, so we had mash for breakfast and then I started again. I cubed the potatoes before boiling on second attempt, so that I could keep an eye on them and it worked well. The wine vinegar really gives it a nice ZING.