Recipe by threeovens
This is the way my MIL makes potato salad, at least according to DH's memory. It has vienna sausages, cut up, potatoes, eggs, peas and carrots. Don't laugh, it is good and every bite tastes different. For some reason, the only vienna sausages I could find in the store were made by Goya in the International aisle. I guess it is just one more ingredient that is disappearing from the shelves in the supermarket.
Top Review by TimTam
This is pretty much my Nanas recipe and she was German. Her only difference was cooked diced bacon instead of the sausage but I have been known to put in chopped up hot dogs if that is all I have. I cook the potatoes the night before and all you have to do is assemble the rest of the ingredients the next day. Yummy
- 1 lb potato, cooked and cooled
- 5 ounces vienna sausages (canned)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 3 eggs, hard-cooked
- 1⁄4 cup frozen peas and carrot, thawed
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄8 cup sour cream
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- green onion, chopped for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel cooled potatoes and chop into bite sized dice; place in a large bowl.
- Rinse and drain vienna sausages, cut each into 4 rounds; add to potatoes.
- Add onion and celery to potatoes.
- Coarsely chop eggs and add to potatoes.
- Add peas and carrots.
- Combine mayonnaise and sour cream; stir into potato mixture.
- Season with salt and pepper; garnish with green onions.