1/1 Photo of Colombian Pineapple Custard
1 hr 5 mins
pattikay in L.A.'s Note:
A simple and delicious dessert from South American Food and Cooking. When I made this it did set, but was not really firm, so it would be best to invert these into a small bowl. This also is not a creamy type of custard - has some of the pineapple texture to it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Put the pineapple in a blender or food processor and process till smooth.
- 2Scrape the puree into a pan and add the sugar. Heat till just boiling and simmer for 5 minutes or till reduced by one third.
- 3The mixture should be thick but not jam-like, so add a little water if it is too thick.
- 4Transfer to a bowl to cool.
- 5Make the caramel:.
- 6Place the sugar in a heavy pan over medium heat. As the sugar starts to caramelize around the edges, shake the pan to mix the sugar, but do not stir.
- 7Remove the pan from the heat as soon as all the sugar has dissolved and the caramel has become golden brown.
- 8Immediately stir in the lime juice, taking care not to burn yourself.
- 9The hot caramel will spit when the lime juice is added, but this will stop.
- 10Divide the caramel among six remekins and turn them so that they are coated evenly.
- 11Preheat the oven to 350. Stir the eggs into the cool pineapple mixture.
- 12Divide the mixture equally among the ramekins.
- 13Place the molds in a roasting pan and pour in warm water to come halfway up their sides.
- 14Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes, till set. Allow to cool.
- 15Just before serving, unmold the custards directly onto the dessert plates. Loosen the edges with a knife, invert a dessert plate on top of each mold and turn both over.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Colombian Pineapple Custard
Serving Size: 1 (127 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 196.4
- Calories from Fat 29
- Total Fat 3.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 124.0 mg
- Sodium 48.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 36.4 g
- Protein 4.5 g