2 hrs 20 mins
Saw this episode of Emeril Live and just had to have some. Made it last week and it was delish! I love that little zing, although it calls for more, & we made a meal of it!.Chicken soup is chicken soup but with little changes here and there - that make it entirely their own. We served it with a crunchy home made bread, some honey butter and a spinach salad with a raspberry vinaigrette, exquisite!! Forgot to make this public - so here it is. We served it in a beautiful tureen that belonged to my mother and a fine time was had by all!!!! :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (3 1/2-4 lb) skinless roasting chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 skinless chicken breast, cut in 1/2
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 4 pieces
- 1 medium celery rib, cut into 4 pieces
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed or 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro, stems only (leaves reserved for soup)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 medium celery rib, finely chopped
- 2 lbs baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 lemons, juice of (please not the bottled stuff) or 1 lime, juice of (please not the bottled stuff)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro, leaves only, finely chopped
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pinches ground cumin or 2 pinches bijol seasoning
- crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 saffron threads or 1 bijol seasoning
- 1 large very ripe tomato, halved, seeded, and finely chopped
- 1 scallion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed and mashed into a paste with 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 lemons, juice of (please not the bottled stuff) or 1/2 lime, juice of (please not the bottled stuff)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and very finely minced (we used less)
- 2 tablespoons minced cilantro leaves
- 2Combine all the ingredients for the stock in a large soup pot and cover with cold water.
- 3Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to low and simmer uncovered for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, skimming any foam from the top of the stock as it simmers, until the chicken is fall-from-the-bone tender.
- 4Add water, as necessary, to keep the stock ingredients covered.
- 5Strain the stock through a fine mesh sieve, discarding everything except the boiled chicken, and return the stock to the rinsed-out pot.
- 7Remove the chicken from the bones and shred into small pieces; set aside.
- 8Add the onion, carrots, celery, and potatoes to the stock and simmer 20 to 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
- 9While the soup is simmering, combine the lemon or lime juice, garlic, cilantro leaves, scallions, oil, Bijol (or a pinch each of ground cumin & a pinch of saffron threads), and a tablespoon of the soup broth in a small bowl and mash into a paste with a fork.
- 11Also while the soup is simmering, prepare the salsa by combining all ingredients in a glass or stainless steel bowl and mixing well.
- 12Season, to taste, with salt just before serving.
- 14When the potatoes are tender, add the reserved chicken and seasoning paste to the soup and stir well to combine.
- 15Allow the soup to return to a simmer, then remove from the heat, and let sit, covered, 10 minutes before serving.
- 16Serve garnished with a spoonful of the salsa.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Colombian Chicken Soup a La Emeril
Serving Size: 1 (269 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 290.0
- Calories from Fat 69
- Total Fat 7.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 22.8 mg
- Sodium 84.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.7 g
- Sugars 6.8 g
- Protein 13.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
skinless roasting chicken