Recipe by threeovens
A rich, yet delicate, first course. This cream-based soup made with avocados and potatoes can be served either hot or cold. It is ideal before a fish course. Allow more time if serving cold for the soup to cool and be refrigerated.
- 3 leeks, sliced thin (white part only)
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced thin
- 3 cups vegetable stock, or
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 avocados, mashed
- chives (for garnish) or cilantro, chopped (for garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium saucepan, heat the stock over medium high heat. Add the leeks and potatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Puree in blender, then return to saucepan. Stir in the heavy cream.
- Puree avocado in the blender.
- If serving hot, be sure to stir in the avocado just before serving, since heat can make the avocado bitter.
- If serving cold, allow the soup to cool completely, then stir in the avocado puree and refrigerate.
- Garnish with chopped chives or cilantro.