Recipe by Mirj
Source: Classic Cuisine of the Italian Jews by Edda Servi Machlin. This is an ancient Venetian dish according to the author and may not be for everyone's taste.
Top Review by love4culinary
Thanks for this recipe Mirj! I use to love raisins as a young child, and then hated them for years. Recently I started wanting raisins in everything since...and I found this recipe and gave it a go! This may not be a recipe for everyone, but its definitely one for me! I really enjoyed it! Thanks for this one! I'll be making it again!
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped Italian parsley
- 1 1⁄2 cups short-grain rice
- 1⁄2 cup dark seedless raisins
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups hot broth or 3 cups hot water
- black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large skillet.
- Add garlic, parsley and rice.
- Cook over high heat stirring with a wooden spoon until garlic begins to discolor.
- Add raisins and salt.
- Add broth or water 1/4 cup at a time and continue to cook uncovered over high heat until rice is done-about 15 minutes.
- Taste and add salt and pepper if necessary.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.