Prep 25 mins
Cook 55 mins
Per the Bobby Flay Throwdown episode courtesy of the Colucci Bros in Hyannis Port, Mass.
- salad oil
- 1 carrot, small to medium dice
- 2 stalks celery, small to medium dice
- 1 medium onion, small to medium dice
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 eggs
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 dash hot sauce (recommended ( Tabasco)
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
- 3 slices bread
- 1⁄2 cup seasoned Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven at 375 degrees F.
- In a medium-sized saute pan, put 2 dribbles of salad oil and heat over medium-high heat.
- Add the carrots, celery, and onions and saute, about 5 minutes. Put aside and let cool.
- In large bowl put the carrot mixture, ground beef and remaining ingredients, except for the bread, the bread crumbs and ketchup. Soak the bread in cold water, then squeeze water out (like a sponge) and drain it. Add to the ground beef and mix. (A stand up mixer may help make it easier). Add the bread crumbs and mix.
- Roll into firm loaf, spread ketchup over the top, and place into preheated oven for approximately 45 to 55 minutes, or until cooked through. Take out and serve hot, perhaps with gravy.
I had a hard time deciding how to rate this. My husband didn't like it much at first because he complained it didn't have enough ketchup. I suggested he add ketchup to his piece and then tell me what he thought. He said that made the difference and would make it about 4 1/2 stars now. Then I ate it. This is the first meatloaf I've tasted in years that I actually really liked AFTER I added more salt and pepper. I'm not blaming the fact that I didn't put enough in...because I didn't know how much to add with the other seasonings...that's my fault. Anyway since I actually am going to go back for a second piece instead of throwing away half of my original serving(which is what I usually do)...rates big time in my book. When I make it again I will hand DH the ketchup bottle...I will not add it to the loaf since a lot of ketchup is one of the things I don't like in most meatloafs. Made for SPRING PAC 2010 http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=327498&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Best meatloaf recipe ever!!
Made and reviewed for PAC Fall 2008. I would have to say that this meatloaf recipe is not the best I have ever tasted, but certainly not the worst. It just seemed a little bland to my taste; even with the seasoned bread crumbs. Giving an actual measurement for the salt and pepper would be helpful, as I think I may not have added enough. The amounts of hot sauce and worcestershire sauce can definitely be increased because a "dash" of these two sauces will not do anything to season 2 lbs of meat. Thank you for submitting this recipe, nursecindy.