Recipe by Bill Hilbrich
This recipe comes from Tom Collins, in Walker Wisconsin and was published in Ron Schara's Minnesota Fishing Guide in 1978. It has been a favorite of mine for many years and works well with any firm white meat fish. It can also be used to deep fry firm vegetables like broccoli.
- 2 eggs, whole beaten
- 12 ounces beer
- 12 ounces flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine eggs and beer Add dry ingredients all at once.
- Mix smooth, adjust consistency as required.
- If batter is heavy, adjust with a small amount of milk, If batter is too thin, adjust with cornstarch. Do not over mix.
- Dredge fish or vegetable lightly in cornstarch.
- Shake off excess, dip in batter and immerse directly into fat cooking at 375 degrees.