Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This recipe appeared in the "Cooking Light" magazine. It is very labor intensive, but well worth the effort.
- 6 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 cloves garlic, halved
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 6 chicken breast halves (about 2& 1/4 pounds)
- 4 chicken thighs (about 1 pound)
- 4 cups sliced cremini mushrooms (8 ounces)
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups herbed seasoned stuffing mix
- 3 tablespoons light butter, melted
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a dutch oven; bring to a boil.
- Add chicken; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes or until tender.
- Remove chicken with a slotted spoon; bring broth mixture to a boil.
- Cook until reduced to 4 cups (about 30 minutes) Pour reduced broth mixture into a zip-top plastic bag.
- Snip off 1 corner of bag; drain 2 cups broth mixture into a 2 cup glass mixture, stopping before the fat layer reaches the opening.
- Reserve the remaining broth mixture for another use.
- Discard fat.
- Remove chicken from skin and bones, shred with 2 forks to measure 4& 1/2 cups meat.
- Place the chicken in a 13 x 9 baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place a large skillet coated with cooking spray over medium high heat.
- Add mushrooms; Saute 5 minutes.
- Remove from skillet; gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until blended.
- Add 2 cups broth mixture; cook over medium heat 12 minutes or until slightly thick, stirring constantly with a whisk.
- Stir in mushrooms, salt, and pepper.
- Pour over chicken.
- Combine the stuffing mix and butter in a bowl, and sprinkle over the mushroom mixture.
- Cover and bake casserole@ 400 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Uncover and cook casserole 10 minutes or until bubbly.