Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This recipe came about from a lot of experimenting over the years. My family and friends like this version the best. Serve over cooked rice.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast half, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 lb andouille sausage, sliced
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 lb frozen cooked shrimp, without tails
- In a slow cooker, mix the chicken, sausage, tomatoes with juice, onion, green bell pepper, celery, and broth. Season with oregano, parsley, Cajun seasoning, cayenne pepper, and thyme.
- Cover, and cook 7 to 8 hours on LOW, or 3 to 4 hours on HIGH. Stir in the shrimp during the last 30 minutes of cook time.
- Serve over your favorite rice.
Great recipe! I am not a fan of Jambalaya but this was the best one I have cooked! There was only one package of andouille sausage at the store if you can believe that. I used some turkey kielbasa to fufill the pound of sausage needed. I am glad I did because the dish was spicy (which is great) but not kid friendly. I didn't use the full amount of cayenne pepper either for this reason. Overall, great dish! Made for ZWT9 July 2013.