Recipe by threeovens
This is a dish popular in the southern US states and originally comes from Africa.
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 6 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 jalapeno pepper, halved lengthwise
- 4 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 lbs collard greens, stems and leaves finely shredded
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs thyme
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium high heat; add the garlic, onions, and jalapeno and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, collard greens, bay leaves, and thyme; cover, reduce heat to medium low, and cook, stirring occasionally, until collards are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaves, thyme sprigs, and jalapeno and discard; season with salt and pepper.
- This dish can be prepared a day in advance and reheated.