Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
No pork fat here! Very flavorful vegan side dish, perfect for a holiday meal.
- 6 cups collard greens
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon cajun mustard
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup pecan halves
- Wash and drain greens and tear into salad-size pieces.
- Combine vinegar, honey, and mustard.
- Heat oil in large skillet and add pecans. Pour in vinegar mix and cook, stirring often, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in greens, cover, reduce heat, and cook about 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary.
Flavorful! I would use 2-3 times the amount of sauce... it's yummy!
I really liked this recipe. It was a nice mix of sweet and spicy. I did not have cajun mustard, so I used spicy mustard and then sprinkled in some cayenne. I also left the pecans out - actually by accident (I was going to reserve half without nuts for my daughters and then put nuts on the half for myself and my husband, but forgot.) It was excellent. But the pecans sound great and next time I will try it with those included. Thank you for this wonderful dish!
Being used to the very traditional Southern way of cooking collard greens (with bacon or ham and onion with vinegar on the side), this was quite a different taste sensation. We have another bunch to use and will make this one again. I really like the pecans in this. Thanks, Prose, for finding a unique way of using this vegetable which is a more healthy alternative to the traditional method.