Hey Jude's Note:
Another Kwanzaa recipe that needs a home on Zaar. This is very tart, reduce the vinegar if you prefer. Found in Chicago Tribune, I haven't tried this yet.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil or 1 tablespoon olive oil or 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 bunch fresh collard greens, stemmed,chopped
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, to taste (such as Tabasco)
- 1 1/2 cups kidney beans (cooked or canned)
- fresh ground pepper
- 1Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat; add the garlic; cook until fragrant, 1 minute; add the greens, vinegar, water and hot sauce; cook, stirring often, until greens slightly soften, about 5 minutes.
- 2Cover; cook 5 more minutes.
- 3Add the beans with 1/2 cup of the beans cooking liquid (if using canned beans, use water), cover; cook until the collards are tender, about 10 minutes.
- 4Stir in salt, pepper and more hot sauce to taste.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Collard greens and red beans
Serving Size: 1 (172 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 99.7
- Calories from Fat 27
- Total Fat 3.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 215.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 5.4 g