Recipe by keen5
I got this recipe off of a soul food site called Chitterlings. I made this Friday night and these are the best collard greens I've ever eaten. I served with a big skillet of cornbread. Prep time is lengthy due to the cleaning and cutting of the greens. Cook time approximate. This makes a lot of greens!
- 2 medium ham hocks
- 1 onion, chopped
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- garlic powder, to taste
- 4 bunches collard greens, cleaned and cut
- 1 head cabbage, cleaned and cut up
- 2 -3 tablespoons bacon fat
Directions See How It's Made
- Add the bacon fat to a large stock pot.
- If you don't save your bacon fat, fry up a few slices of bacon in the pot you are going to cook your greens in; leave the bacon and fat.
- Add your ham hocks to the pot, cover with water, onion and spices.
- Boil for about an hour.
- Add cleaned and cut collards to the pot, cover and cook until tender (45 minutes to an hour, less if you like them less cooked).
- Add the cabbage at the very end and cook until wilted or to your desired taste.
- Remove bones and fat of the ham hocks.