Recipe by MadCity Dale
Adapted recipe from CHILI PEPPER, magazine, February 2007 issue. Adapted from Chef John Currence. Smoked pork necks are often available from butcher shops.
- 1⁄2 cup rendered bacon fat
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 4 slices cooked bacon, cut into small pieces
- 2 large yellow onions (sliced or chopped)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 lbs collard greens, washed, stemmed, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 smoked pork necks
Directions See How It's Made
- In a deep pot warm bacon fat and butter; add onion and garlic to butter and bacon mixture, simmer until onion is light brown.
- Add collards layering with salt/pepper, cooking until wilted.
- Add crumbled bacon, vinegar, stock and smoked pork necks; cover pot and cook until tender over medium heat for about 30 minutes. Flavors should be combined, but collards are still green, Do not overcook.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.