Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
A healthy alternative to the delicious southern greens.
- 1 lb collard greens
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, cut in 2-inch strips, 1/4-inch wide
- 1⁄2 large onion, slivered
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Tabasco sauce, to taste
- 2 teaspoons honey
- Slice off the stems from the collards right below the leaf, and discard the stems. Fill the sind with cold water and give the leaves a good soaking and washing to get rid or all the grit clinging to the folds of the leaves.
- Drop the greens into a couple of inches of boiling salted water. Boil for 5 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water. Drain again and chop coarsely.
- Pour the olive oil into a large skillet. Toss in the peppers and onions, seasoning them with a sprinkling of salt and pepper. Once they're soft, toss in the garlic and cook 1 minute more. Dump in the greens and give them a stir. Add 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper, the vinegar, tabasco, and honey. Stir one more time and serve up a mess of healthy greens.