Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
One of the delicious vegetable dishes of Ethiopian Cooking.
- 1 lb collard greens
- 1⁄2 cup red onions or 1⁄2 cup white onion
- 1 teaspoon fresh garlic or 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- water, as required
- 1 hot green pepper (seeded, sliced)
- salt and pepper
- Separate the leaves cut the end stems and discard; wash the green leaves in cold water; cut the leaves in medium sizes. Keep it in cold water.
- Boil water in a large pot and add the collard green, let the water covers all the greens, cook for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop the onion, cook it until tender with 4 tablespoon of water. Add the oil, garlic, add 1/2 cup of the water, black pepper and salt. (Takes 10 minutes).
- Strain the cooked collard green and add to the onion, mix well and cook for 10 minutes. Add the hot green pepper and remove from heat.
- Serve it hot or cold.