Recipe by Ugly Yellow
A Southern traditional dish served on New Year's Day, greens for prosperity and black-eyed peas for luck created for Oprah Winfrey by Art Smith
Top Review by JackieOhNo!
A phenomenal soup!!!! I made a few changes, but still ended up with an incredibly tasty meal. Instead of chicken wings, I used two split chicken breast halves (with skin and bones). For the sausage, I used regular Italian sausage and for the collards, I used some curly kale that I had in the refrigerator. This was a huge hit with friends and family and will definitely be made again! Thanks for sharing this keeper!
- 1 -2 lb chicken wings (10 pieces)
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups canned stewed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper
- 4 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 cans black-eyed peas
- 3 sausages, cut into bite size (your preference)
- 2 pieces bacon, chopped
- 6 cups collard greens, chopped
- hot sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Add chicken wings and stock, chopped onions, garlic and spices to soup pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, add tomatoes (crushed with your hands), salt and pepper and simmer until wings are tender.
- Add potatoes, black-eyed peas, sausage, bacon and greens, simmer 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken wings and allow to cool.
- Separate chicken meat from bones and return meat to soup.
- Season with hot sauce (optional) Serve with cornbread.