Recipe by Dr. Paul
The greens are up in the garden! I love collards and they go well with potatoes, so I modified a creamed collards recipe to simplify it. Turned out deliciously.
Top Review by michelle jadaa
Deceptively simple yet very good,its going to be a staple in our home.We changed the spices up a bit using worcestershire sauce instead of liquid smoke and chili powder instead of garlic powder(hubby is allergic).
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 4 cups collard greens, with the stem cut out then coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 of an onion, chopped
- 3 -4 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chicken better than bouillon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 egg
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the butter over low heat.
- Saute collards and chopped onion until tender - 5 minutes.
- Stir in flour and brown slightly.
- Slowly add milk while stirring until your preferred consistency is reached. Make it a little thinner.
- Stir in the bullion paste, garlic powder, and smoke flavoring.
- Whip an egg well with a fork and mix it with 1/4 cup milk.
- While stirring the bubbling gravy, slowly add the egg mixture.
- continue to cook on low heat for 5 minutes.
- serve over mashed potatoes.