Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is one of Tyler Florence's recipes, haven't tried it as yet, but when he prepared it looked fantastic.
- 1 head napa cabbage or 1 head savoy cabbage, shredded
- 4 carrots, shredded
- 2 granny smith apples, thinly sliced
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
- fresh mint leaves, garnish
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 lemon, juice of
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- Combine the cabbage, carrots, apples, onions and pecans in a large bowl; mix well with your hands and set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir together mustard, sugar, cayenne, red pepper flakes[if using],cumin, mayonnaise and lemon juice until blended. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Pout the dressing over the cabbage mixture and toss well to coat. Taste again for seasoning.
- Mound onto a platter and garnish with mint leaves.
This is the most exciting coleslaw we've ever eaten. The combination of flavors is simply wonderful. Only changes: just one apple is plenty (which next time I'll cut in matchsticks to better merge with the shredded cabbage/carrots;) plus less mayo. And go for the pepper flakes - everything blends and is especially good the next day. Thank Manami!
This slaw is soooo delicious! The perfect balance of flavors and textures. I used good ol' regular green cabbage and only one apple cut in to matchsticks. Even though it tastes great now, I can't wait to try it tomorrow and after the flavors develop. This a real keeper recipe for us. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
Good! Refreshing change from same old iceberg lettuce salads.