Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Old Bay is not just for shellfish, it adds a bit of zest to this coleslaw. It goes perfectly with fried chicken or hot wings. Representing the Mid-Atlantic from Williams Sonoma: American.
- 1 head green cabbage (about 2 lbs.)
- 2 large carrots, peeled
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and cut into very narrow stips (capsicum)
- 4 green onions, finely chopped including green tops
- 1 tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- Cut the cabbage into wedges. Cut out and discard the hard core from each wedge. Using a food processor fitted with the slicing disk, cut the cabbage into fine shreds. (The cabbage can also be thinly sliced by hand). Transfer to a large bowl.
- Fit the processor with a shredding disk and shred the carrots. (The carrots can also be shredded by hand using the largest holes of a box grater-shredder). Add the carrots to the bowl with the cabbage.
- Sprinkle the cabbage and carrots with the vinegar and mix well. Stir in the bell pepper strips and green onion.
- Add the mayonnaise and Old Bay Seasoning and mix well. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, at least 2 hours. Serve cold.
Great one! The Old Bay seasoning is surprisingly good in a coleslaw. And I like this one because there is not sugar in it, yet it doesn't taste like it's missing anything.
My husband despises coleslaw, so I made this for me and my mother-in-law. He has now asked me several times to make again. Enough said!
Perfect recipe, for a perfect Spring day, and followed this exactly. We come from "Old Bay" country - as "Old Bay" is made right here in Maryland, in fact less the 15 minutes from the farm. And coleslaw with this seasoning is just as amazing! The only thing I do is take the cabbage and carrot and salt and let the cabbage sit in a colander to let the excess water come out. There is no place for watery coleslaw. This was a perfect combination to make the perfect 'slaw! I made with your Recipe Picnic Chicken, Neely's Barbecue Baked Beans. This is a Friday night meal deal you can't go wrong on. Made for *PAC* Spring 2010